hywel

By Hywel

Carmarthenshire, Wales Wal

I have a Ceratostigma in a small pot. I know it is hardy but since it is in a small pot I am wondering if I should I put it in a cold frame for the winter, or will it be all right on the patio. My cold frame is becoming rather full !

Answers

They are tough as old boots, I leave mine in situ as you know they die back to completely nothing and always come back, however with most of my pots if we were to get a severe prolonged cold spell then I move them to a sheltered position just as a caution, could you put it in the ground as they would do far better ? on the allotment they are in the ground and carpet part of the pathway, here in the woodland garden I have them potted so I can move them into the sun.

Thanks, I may leave it where it is for now and put it in more shelter if the weather gets severe.
I can't plant it in the ground yet because I don't know where to put it. I will be rearranging my garden in the spring and may find a spot for it then.

Perhaps you might sink the pot into the ground and get the best of both worlds? Then it would be easy to move later.

I could do that Sue but the only place I could do it at the moment is my new raised bed, and since that is elevated from the ground I don't think it would be very protected there. I suppose it will be all right if I put it inside an old Perspex shelter if the weather gets severe.