Surrey, United Kingdom Gb

Senecio Angels Wings. This plant had lovely big soft leaves last year when it was young. Can I take cuttings of the shoots( now leggy) & start again afresh? Would aerial cuttings be a good idea or usual way, cutting off the shoots & rooting round the edge of a pot. When? Shall I try now indoors or wait until the weather warms up. Perhaps it will also grow up again from the base.( hopeful)!

Image

Answers

Hi, this is a variety of Senecio cineraria, and is only frost hardy, the best time to take cuttings is mid to late summer, there are 5 cultivation groups for Senecio, this 1 is in group 2, it needs fairly fertile, well drained soil, in full sun, but you can sow seed in spring, in a cold frame, if you want more plants now, Derek.

Thank you for your reply. I'm going to try taking a cutting now though to see what happens & if it fails then I'll take your advice with the seed. If the main plant lasts till summer I could still take cuttings then.

My plant is looking much better now after all the sun. The cuttings did not take but it is sprouting nice new growth from where I took them. :-)