I have the aphid riddled cherry tree and wanted to say a huge thank you for your comments and helpful advice. Too many aphids to squish. However interesting you said about ants as we have a humongous problem with them. The ate our Robinia fruits and it took off. Cannot get control. Using Nippon but ineffective. Any large solutions welcomed as there us a massive company under our lawn.

Answers

we have successfully used a product that is called ant sugar. its an ant poison that the ants take into the nest and when eaten kills them.

I believe Ant Stop might be the solution as far as the ants on the ground are concerned. They take it back to the nest and it's supposed to kill them all. Boiling water where there is no danger to plants. As far as the trees are concerned, it's worth a try with sticky (grease) bands around the trunk to prevent them climbing.

The scales you pictured excrete a large amount of honeydew which always attract ants.

the scale photo was charnwood's not Gerbera55's Loosetrife but you are still correct re the scale and its honeydew. ;o)