The Garden Community for Garden Lovers

By Sarahp

Hampshire, United Kingdom Gb

Hi I watched a gardening programme and the lady wanted an italian inspired garden, they planted a few oleanders which I love but have never bought because I was told they are poisonous, please advise me
Thanks Sarah p



Yes, it's extremely beautiful, but one of the most poisonous shrubs of all. Avoid this one if you have small children or pets that will be around it; even smoke from burning is toxic and bees that have pollinated it. Just brushing against it will cause skin irritation and ingesting a small amount would be fatal. They can't take temps below 20f.

31 Mar, 2016


Thanks , I do have a small dog so I will just have to admire when I go on holiday !

31 Mar, 2016


They they don't grow this far north, but I'll just admire pictures on Google. There is an interesting story about the Myrtles Plantation in Francisville, Louisiana. A slave girl poisoned the family with oleander and their ghosts haunt the place to this day.

31 Mar, 2016


Agree it is highly poisonous, but only if you eat it or use the wood in a barbecue fire. Some people have a skin reaction to the sap, but regarding toxicity, you have to bear in mind that more than 50% of plants grown in gardens in the UK are toxic, including some very common ones such as cherry laurel, rhododendron, daffodil. I've planted it in two gardens here in London and they survived the cold winter we had a few years back - but they are in a sheltered position. Provided your children are not in the habit of nibbling leaves in the garden, and you don't make a salad with them, should be fine - but if you have a dog who likes to snack on plants, best not use it.

Some interesting info about poisonous/toxic plants here

31 Mar, 2016

How do I say thanks?

Answer question


Not found an answer?