lilypad

By Lilypad

gwent, United Kingdom Gb

When is the best time to start off tomato plants from seed please. Very little frost in my area.

Answers

they will suffer from cool temps and I see you are in Wales. Personally I wouldn't start them off until March late feb at the earliest. On your windowsill they will be warm enough but they will get leggy before you can plant them in bigger pots.
are you growing them outside or in a greenhouse/lean too?
My daughter grew some outside in Bridgend but they didn't do much until may/june when it was warm enough.

I usually begin mine late February. They will take a whole week to germinate. If you can't give them 5-6 hours of direct sun, grow lights will certainly help and prevent them from getting leggy, also rotating the plants. They will be ready to plant out by late April.

I don't plant mine out in the greenhouse until the end of May, I will start my seeds mid March on the bathroom windowsill.

I start mine the second half of March. They go in the airing cupboard first for two or three days - as soon as the first sign of germination occurs (you need to check daily), they come out on to the kitchen windowsill

Thank you all so much. I will heed your advice, I was asking early as i always seem to miss the boat.Happy gardening all of you.

Even if you miss the boat there are plants available usually until June, of course not a much fun or choice as there is from seed

I'm Hampshire and sow much same times as above. I've found later ones often catch up with the early birds due to longer daylight hours & warmth

Thank you Grandad from grandma