jaf

By Jaf

Canada Ca

What is this ground cover

E86119b5_27d2_4254_a495_f9e88af571b0

Answers

Vinca minor, or the Periwinkle. it has a pretty blue flowers but if left alone it can dominate the landscapes.

jaf
Jaf

Thanks

welcome to GoY
yes it does indeed look like Vinca. Useful in dark shady areas but can get out of hand.

jaf
Jaf

Thank you. I need something for shade. The “getting out of hand” part worries me though.

It actually looks like Dwarf Periwinkle (Vinca minor) to me. Still a spreader, but not as aggressive.

It really depends where you live in Canada. If you live anywhere else than milder regions you probably will not have a problem.
We live on southern Vancouver Island and Garden centers will not sell it as it is very aggressive spreader...despite what Tugbrethhil says (sorry Tug) We have many hills covered with it. England has a similar climate as we do here .....therefore Seaburn's comment .

although a spreader I do find it pulls out quite well. Depends on how much you have.

Klahanie, I'm sorry on two counts! First, when I first read your first answer, I could have sworn that I read Vinca major--obviously not so!
Second, I should have realized that, in the Pacific Northwest of North America, even a slow spreader like Vinca minor could easily cover square kilometers, if left to itself. It's far different in my climate!

Tugbrethil, no reason to be sorry :-)
We are " blessed" to have both, minor and major. Yes, plants behave differently in various climates. In our region it is the ivy which is perhaps more invasive than vinca.
Some plants you consider invasive and nuisance in your region are well behaved here.