Strathclyde, United Kingdom Gb

I have a Clematis which seems to have quite vigorous growth at the top but looks fairly threadbare from ground up. I can’t figure out if it’s in trouble or not. Any ideas?
It’s only 1 year old so early days yet I hope.

9879aa28_e7e0_46e1_aeb6_ea3ffc3fe710

Answers

it will be fine after pruning. do you know which variety it is? if not when does it flower?

Spring flowering ones are usually pruned after flowering.
Summer and autumn ones are usually pruned to about 12" from the soil in mid spring before the shoots break.

This is the RHS link
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=109

As the old saying goes-Clematis like their feet in the shade and their head I the sun. Your problem is that you have given your Clematis feet which are too big or long as it were. What you did was the following...you fixed the trellis against (judging by the shadows) the north side of a small stone fence or wall which gets little sun. Then you placed the plant at its base and that’s good but what was not good was that the fence or wall is too high. I don’t know how it did it but this plant finally managed to make it all the way up to the top of the wall where the sun was to give it enough energy for sustained leaf growth. Sad to say that there will probably never be enough of mother nature’s little solar panels to provide enough energy for flowering. Simply said you planted this Clematis in a bad place.

Thank you very much for the comments / advice. I’ll use the link regarding pruning. It hasn’t flowered at all and from what I’m reading might not ever. Unfortunately, I have very limited space and this wall,( indeed north facing) is the only location. I’ll nurse it along and see what happens. Entirely not suitable for its location being too shaded, but it was a gift, so worth A try.
Regards

Maybe you could grow another plant in front of it that doesn't mind the shade and hides the stems.